Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Organization of an Unsystematic Hive


So this year I am the editor of my school newspaper, The Buzz. I have a co-editor who works with me as well. Other than us, it's three freshmen. This is a horrible staff. I wish it was a class but unfortunately we can only meet after school every Tuesday. At the beginning of the year I knew I wanted to make the paper more organized and so much better than it was but I didn't have the full motivation until now.

I went to a field trip this past Friday; Southern Connecticut University was having a Journalism conference. My 21st Century Journalism class went to this to get some ideas of the journalism world of today. One of the other high schools that was there was Wilbur Cross High School of New Haven. The advisor of that group was passing around copies of their student newspaper to everyone that he saw. Their paper is 20 pages to our 4 nevermind all of the pictures that we don't have. This really motivated me to start getting more organized.

In my Journalism class we learned about wiki pages and how to use them. I decided that this would be a good idea. I made a wiki page for our newspaper where everyone can compile their articles all together, have a place for everyone's emails, an article idea page, and we can all comment on eachother's articles to make them the best that they can be.

We ar actually gaining some new staff. I made our first deadline November 12th and the hopefully the first paper will go out on the 14th. I'll keep everyone updated!!

1 comment:

Miller said...

Merissa, good luck with the paper and I'm glad the SCSU field trip got you motivated.

I've been reading this blog by a journalism teacher who is just getting his first issue up and running. He writes about other things as well, but his journalism class page may have some links. If you're interested, here's the link.

http://bgenglish.blogspot.com/

Don't forget to use hyperlinks in your entries.